Last Updated on March 24, 2022
If you’re looking for the best back exercises with dumbbells for women you’re in the right place.
I know so many women that I work with are insecure about their back fat. Seeing fat bulge out from your bra straps and swimsuit tops is frustrating. I’ve been there!
If your back makes you feel self-conscious, too – don’t worry, I have good news! The back exercises with dumbbells that I’m sharing will help you get fit, confident, and bring the sexy back to your back.
I find these exercises to be the best for women that want to tighten and tone their backs and smooth out bra strap bulges for a few reasons.
What makes these back exercises so effective?
- The back exercises I’m sharing require the use of light dumbbells. By doing back strengthening exercises with lighter weights. By using light weights, you can move faster, which helps increase calorie burn as you build lean muscle mass… Because we’ll be using lighter weights this helps ensure you’re slimming down and toning up as opposed to building bulky muscle mass. (Assuming you’re following a meal plan – if your nutrition is off you won’t see the results you want.)
- The back exercises & training strategy in this back workout allows you to get the benefits of both cardio and weight training at the same time. Doing cardio with dumbbells while targeting larger back muscles (and the arms at the same time) helps maximize calorie burn. Weight training boosts metabolism. By incorporating both into one routine, you’ll burn fat during the workout and continue to burn fat after the workout is done, too.
- The exercises target all of the major back muscles and secondary supportive muscles, too. The exercises in this routine target larger muscles and engage smaller, supportive muscles, too. This helps sucks all of the muscles in tight like a corset – which is what we want! This allows you to get results without lifting heavy, too.
Bottom line, these back exercises with dumbbells can help tighten and tone the back while melting away unwanted back bulges. (assuming your nutrition is on point, too)
How’s that for results?
Ready to tone your back and burn your back fat? Grab your dumbbells and let’s do this!
The Best Back Exercises with Dumbbells for Women
Notice how these exercises all use different movements, arm & wrist positions, and directions to train the back? Constantly switching up the ways we target your back muscles is what makes these dumbbell exercises so effective.
That’s why I paired them all together into one powerful workout so you can tighten and tone your back ASAP.
Pin this back workout to Pinterest so you’ll have it forever
Back Workout with Weights Instructions
- Grab your weights. 5 – 7.5 pounds is a great place to start. I wouldn’t recommend using any more than 7.5 pounds regardless of your skill level.
- Do each exercise 15 times (aka reps) to complete 1 set (aka round).
- Do 3 full sets – of all 6 back exercises – to complete the workout.
- I only recommend doing this back fat workout 1 time a week. If you do it more often your body can adapt and you’ll plateau.
- It’s best to do this workout along with one of my nutrition & full body workout programs. This way you’ll ensure you’re getting the nutrition & full body training needed to get noticeable results ASAP.
Get it? Good! Now let’s get to work!
Dumbbell Back Exercise Instructions
Hold a dumbbell in each hand. Keep your back flat and bend forward at your waist about 45 degrees. Hold your weights down together in front of you. This is your start position. Lift both arms up to the side until they’re in line with your shoulders. Maintain a slight bend in your elbows and squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top of the movement. Then reverse the movement, lowering the dumbbells back to the start position to complete one rep.
Pull Your Pants Up
Stand with dumbbells in your hands with your palms facing your sides. Squat down slightly. This is your start position. Exhale and draw your elbows up and back, pulling the weights upwards towards your armpits. Keep the weights close to your body as you draw them up as if you’re pulling your pants up. Pause for a count. Inhale, and lower weights back down to the start position to complete one rep.
Stand with your dumbbells in front of you with your palms facing your body. This is your start position. Exhale and pull the weight upward to shoulder height. Keep the weight close to your body as you lift your elbows up and out to the side. Then slowly lower the weight back down to the start position to complete one rep.
Stand with your knees slightly bent, holding dumbbells. Keeping your back flat, bend forward at your hips at a 45-degree angle. Bring your weights down in front of you with your wrists facing each other. This is your start position. Exhale and pull the weights up towards your chest, lifting your elbows up and back as far as you can. Reverse the movement and return to the start position to complete one rep. Tip: Keep your elbows close to your body and squeeze your shoulder blades together at the top of the movement.
Stand with your elbows close to your sides with your arms bent. Your weights should be pointing straight out in front of you, with your wrists facing each other. This is your start position. “Flap” your wings, by drawing your elbows out to the side and up until they’re at shoulder height. Slowly return back down to the start position to complete one rep. Tip: As you’re flapping, keep the weights pointed out in front of you. Only your elbows should move the weights up and down.
Stand holding dumbbells. Lift your elbows up, until they are in line with your shoulders, with your knuckles facing up. This is your start position. Exhale and rotate the weights down until your knuckles are facing the ground. Next, kick your hands out to the side. Reverse the movement and bring your hands back in, then flip your knuckles back up to the start position, to complete one rep.
If you like this back workout and think it could help someone else, share it.
Hugs and High Fives.
Your Coach and Biggest Cheerleader
P.S. This back workout is an example of the workouts found in my complete targeted training workout programs! All of my programs are designed to help women slim down and tone up ASAP. Take my Program Style Quiz to find the right program for you & your goals.
If you need help with nutrition I recommend eating for your unique metabolic type. Check out the training and learn your metabolic type here.
Don’t forget to pin this workout to Pinterest so you’ll have it forever
Christina is a certified Holistic Nutritionist, Personal Trainer, and Fitness & Health Coach. After healing multiple health issues, getting off 7 meds, & losing 40 pounds – and keeping it off for 10+ years, Christina teaches others how to get Happy, Healthy, & Fit quickly without any bullshit. She’ll show you how to slim down, tone up, and feel fantastic naturally with the most delicious food and least intense workouts possible.