Last Updated on August 31, 2022
You can slim down, tone up and firm your outer thighs, butt, and hips with this quick, fun fat-burning Hip Workout for women.
Last week, I was warming up with my client Bonnie when she said “My butt is falling but my hips are huge and have dips that make my butt look more square. Is there a workout that’ll help me?”
I created this Hip Workout for her on the fly. We both loved it so much I had to share it with you, too.
If you want to shape and tone your hips and lift your butt you’re going to love it.
What makes this Hip Workout so Awesome
- The exercises in this workout targets all of the muscles in the outer thighs, butt, and ‘hip dip’ (dent) area of the outer part of the hips.
- Some of the exercises target the hips and outer thighs exclusively. Some exercises target the butt, legs, outer thighs, and hips. HINT: This helps increase heart rate and calorie burn so you can burn more fat and lift your booty, too. It also gives you a chance to give your hips a break and a chance to recover.
- All you need a set of dumbbells.
- BONUS: If you have ankle weights feel free to strap them on to add more intensity.
- We’re using basic equipment so you can do this hip workout at home or the gym.
- The best part? This workout takes 20 minutes tops! WOO!
Fat Burning Hip Workout
Pin this Hip Workout to Pinterest so you can do it whenever you want
How to do this Hip Workout
- Warm-up first for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat each exercise as many times as you can until you feel the burn.
- Once you feel the burn do 5 more to complete one round – or set.
- Do 4 full rounds of all 6 exercises to complete this hip workout.
- For the best results, do this workout routine one time a week, along with my Total Transformation Program.
- Avoid doing this workout more than 1 time in a week! Alternate with your other hip, thigh and butt workouts (linked below) instead.
When you’re done rocking this workout, leave me a comment and let me know if you felt the burn.
The Hip Exercises in this Workout
DONKEY KICK EXERCISE
Start on all fours, with your hands stacked directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips. This is your start position. Keep your leg bent, push a flexed foot up towards the ceiling as far as you can. Squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement. Your back should remain perfectly still in a neutral spine with your hips square to the floor. Reverse the movement and return just short of the start position to complete one rep. Complete the same number of reps with both legs to complete one set.
Start in an all-fours position with your wrists and knee stacked under your shoulders and hips. Your back should be parallel to the ground, not arched or bowed downward. Keeping your hips square to the floor, raise one knee up and out to the side, until your inner thigh is parallel to the ground. Hold for a count then return to the start position to complete one rep. Complete the same number of reps with your other leg to complete one set.
Stand holding dumbbells (or barbell). Your feet should be slightly narrower than shoulder width apart. This is your start position. Bend at the waist lowering your chest towards the floor, while keeping your back neutral. Keep your legs straight but not locked. Your butt will naturally go backward. Don’t arch or round your back. Lower down as far as you can while keeping the weights in close to your legs. Exhale and lift your chest back up to the start position to complete one rep.
LEG LIFT PULSES EXERCISE
Stand tall and lift one leg back until it’s approx. 8 inches off the floor. This is your start position. Next, lift your leg back and up as far as you can. Quickly lower back down to the start position without touching your foot to the floor. Quickly pulse your leg up and down, racking up reps. Keep your hips square as you pulse your leg behind you. Do the same number of reps with both legs to complete one set.
SIDE LEG LIFTS EXERCISE
Stand up straight with your feet together and knees slightly bent. Flex one foot and exhale as you lift that leg as far up to the side as you can, keeping your back as straight and upright as possible. Hold for one count and lower your leg back down to the start position. Lift your leg up and down, quickly racking up reps. Do the same number of reps with your other leg to complete one set.
PLIE SQUAT EXERCISE
Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart with toes turned out. Hold a dumbbell down in front of you. This is your start position. Keeping your abs in tight and chest upright, lower your butt down, pushing into your heels. Squeeze your glutes and push back up to the start position to complete one rep.
Here’s the workout again so you can reference the order of the exercises again
Notes about this Workout for Hips
- Move quickly from one exercise to the next to keep your heart rate up and burn more fat. But, take a break if you need to.
- Use a chair for balance for standing exercises, if needed.
- This workout pairs well with the exercises in this workout for hip dips. All of the exercises are different, but the workout above burns more calories.
Woohoo! That’s it. Did you feel the burn? What was your favorite exercise? Please let me know in the comments. I love hearing what you think! : )
Your Coach and Biggest Cheerleader
To tighten and tone your body faster, use my fat burning Total Transformation program. HINT: I design my programs and free workouts to work together so you can get results faster.
If you liked this workout, you’ll love these workouts, too!
- Lazy Girl Thigh Workout
- Workout for SaddleBags (Outer Thigh Fat)
- Arm Workout for Women
GET A FREE KICKSTARTER WORKOUT PLAN
a $20 Value – Yours free – for a limited time
Sign up to be a CC VIP and get instant access to a free workout plan – including workouts, a schedule, & stretch guide – designed to slim down & tone your entire body while boosting mood & metabolism. As a VIP you'll also get Weekly Tips, Inspiration, and Exclusive Extras you can’t get anywhere else.
Workout seems to be too awedome…. will definitely try it. Thanks for sending
Hi! This is Alisha. I just wanted to say thanks so much for your workouts! I’m absolutely obsessed with Mind Right, Body Tight. I’ve lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks already. It has helped me tremendously.. Thanks so much.
Thanks so much Alisha! It’s my favorite workout program ever!! xo
Workout seems to be too awedome…. will definitely try it. Thanks for sending… and will love to get some new workout
Hi Christina, I just gave this workout a go for the first time. I was only able to complete 1 full round of 20 reps of all 6 exercises. I am nearly 50 years old and menopause is taking its toll on my body. I like your workouts and feel that I have a goal to work up to in order to reach full rounds and reps. I look forward to seeing where your workouts can take me and hope to get back to what my body was like 5+ years ago. Thank you.
Hi Leslie! Try reducing your weight a bit until you build up your strength. xo
How can I get some of your videos to help me in workouts
Invest in one of my programs https://www.christinacarlyle.com/programs/
How many calories will those exercise burn for 1 round by 10 reps?
That’s impossible for me to tell because everyone burns different amounts of calories based on their current weight, pace, and amount of weight used during the workout.
[email protected] Iam 85 kilos I want to cut weight and be 75
My Total Transformation Program is perfect for you! It can definitely get you to your goal weight asap. Here’s a link where you can learn more & sign up. https://www.christinacarlyle.com/total-transformation-program/